Preferred Start Date: January 1, 2021
Urban Adamah is hiring a full-time Facilities Director who will hold overall responsibility for the management of the facilities at Urban Adamah. Urban Adamah’s campus is a two-acre site that, in addition to our farm, is home to a wide array of facilities including a retreat center, community gathering spaces, offices, greenhouses, and a robust greywater and irrigation system.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Facilities Director works closely with a Facilities Associate and hires outside contractors as needed, overseeing all minor new building projects, and all general building and site maintenance. The Facilities Director also works closely with Urban Adamah’s Farm Director, Youth & Family Programs Team, and Community Programs Team to ensure that the site’s physical elements support the organization’s ecological, spiritual, and community building values and goals. The Facilities Director supervises the full-time Facilities Associate and is responsible for helping occasionally to supervise Urban Adamah fellows, seasonal apprentices, and volunteers for site related projects. The position is supervised by Urban Adamah’s Executive Director. Specific responsibilities will include:
The Facilities Director is responsible for general maintenance and upkeep of the Urban Adamah Campus. This includes but is not limited to challenges and opportunities as they arise in any of the following areas:plumbing, electrical, underground utilities, hardscape, carpentry, fencing, drainage, fire access, safety and security, compliance issues, etc.
The Facilities Director:
- Maintains a comprehensive maintenance plan using a Computerized
- Maintenance Management Software program, and oversees / executes all of its components in a regular and timely manner
- Manages upkeep of all buildings including the administration building, residence building, retreat center, two large greenhouses, teaching kitchen, community tent, bathhouse, program yurt, equipment sheds, animal housing structures, and a multi-use building
- Is responsible for stocking, organizing, and maintaining tools, materials, and equipment for all facilities needs, and conducts an annual review and inventory
- Oversees all waste management systems, manages professional cleaning contracts and schedules cleanings, and stocks cleaning supplies across the site
CARPENTRY & BUILDING PROJECTS:
Although much of the infrastructure on our newly developed site is already completed, the site requires a variety of small projects to be built in-house, as well as ongoing maintenance of all wooden structures, all of which the Facilities Director plans, budgets for, manages, and/or executes. The Facilities Director also acts as a staff liaison in construction projects related to the continued development of our site. This includes but is not limited to: attending site development committee meetings, approving and/or coding invoices, and taking on ad-hoc responsibilities related to large construction projects executed by outside contractors.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
The Facilities Director acts as Urban Adamah’s safety officer and is responsible for remaining up to date on health and safety best practices, continuously improving safety and emergency preparedness policies and documents, and conducting regular trainings for staff and fellows in health, safety, and emergency protocols. This includes maintaining all appropriate health and safety standards in our teaching kitchen. The Facilities Director ensures that Urban Adamah remains a safe, healthy, and ADA compliant site. The Facilities Director is responsible for ensuring that all staff are trained in safe use of all equipment on site other than basic gardening implements for which the farm team is responsible.
SUSTAINABILITY & ACCESSIBILITY:
The Facilities Director helps ensure that Urban Adamah upholds its commitment to sustainability and accessibility across the site, overseeing ADA compliance, sustainable sourcing, and best disposal and recycling practices.
At times, the Facilities Director may be asked to perform duties not explicitly listed in this job description. In addition, the Facilities Director is asked to participate in weekly staff meetings and perform administrative tasks essential for smooth operation of the site. The Facilities Director is often called upon to support program related site needs, as well as to serve as a resource for troubleshooting and improving site-wide systems.
We are open to applicants with varying levels and types of experience, provided that the applicant displays the skills required to successfully execute the job described above. You might be a good fit if:
- You have experience in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, other trades, or building/infrastructure maintenance
- You have experience teaching and sharing your trade skills with others
- You enjoy working with others and collaborating with colleagues across different departments in an organization
- You work well on a team and independently, and are comfortable in both leadership and supporting roles
- You are good at managing complex projects, competing priorities, and can successfully adapt and pivot when urgent issues arise
- You are comfortable maintaining multiple channels of communication (text, email, phone, Slack) and independently managing your workflow to keep projects on track
- You communicate clearly and honestly and are comfortable giving and receiving feedback
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities:
- Typing, writing, reading, hearing, and speaking
- Use of hands, fingers, and feet to operate equipment
- Standing and walking for several hours, as well as sitting, squatting, crawling, climbing, and lifting up to 50 pounds
This is a full-time benefited position that includes healthcare, holidays, and paid time off. The salary range for this position is $59,000 – $74,000 per year.
General hours of employment are 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. As the Facilities Director holds primary responsibility for maintenance and operations of the Urban Adamah site, the Facilities Director at times may need to work, on occasion, more than 40 hours per week to fulfill the duties of the position.
The Facilities Director may be asked to work up to 6 Sundays and up to 12 evenings each year to be present during large events. Adjustments in schedule will be made in collaboration with and with the approval of the Facilities Director’s supervisor. If the Facilities Director is required to be onsite during a weekend or holiday, that full day may be worked and one regular work day in the following two weeks may be taken off. The Facilities Director is expected to coordinate schedules with the Facilities Associate to ensure that one of them is present on site during normal operating hours.
We welcome all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We especially welcome applications from black, indigenous, and people of color.
Application Submission Includes…
Cover letter, resume, three professional references and responses to the following short questions (max 200 words for each).
- Please share how you personally relate to Urban Adamah’s mission.
- This role requires extensive collaboration with our program staff. Please describe how you hope that the facilities staff and the program staff operate together.
- Please share your degree of experience and proficiency in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and infrastructure/equipment repair and maintenance.
- This role is largely operational and requires exceptional attention to detail and project management skills. Please describe what experience you have that sets you up for success in this aspect of the work.
We will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis, and will keep this job posting up until the role is filled. If you have any questions about applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.