Public school groups farm & Nature educator
Start Date: September 19, 2019 | Contracted Position
Urban Adamah is a Jewish community farm that provides inquiry-based, experiential garden education for individuals and groups in the East Bay community. Urban Adamah has an Adventure Fund for Oakland and Richmond public schools who are financially under resourced by the school district. We are working with schools such as Oakland Tech, Greenleaf, and Think College Now. Our program provides fully subsidized programs for public schools that lack garden education programs.
Urban Adamah is seeking an educator to staff 12 fall programs for youth in these communities. Each school group will have the chance to participate in programs on the farm twice in order for them to build familiarity and trust with staff, and deeper connection to food and farming. In each program, the Adventure Fund Educator will lead sensory rich farm activities that integrate our plant cycle, soil cycle, pollinator and animal curriculum with students’ classroom learning. The educator should be familiar with these communities and comfortable in adapting our curriculum to make programs culturally relevant.
- Each group program begins with a 20-minute opening circle for all 20-30 elementary aged students. The educator is responsible for setting a positive and cooperative tone, introducing the theme to the group, leading a game, and moment of mindfulness.
- Each program includes two 40-minute long farm job rotations. The educator is responsible for leading their own group of 10-15 students in a farm project that may include planting cover crop, caring for our animals and discovering their benefits to the farm, and farm-to-fork cooking. In each of these rotations, the educator should create an exciting, curiosity-building, and empowering tone that includes songs, games, and questions. (There will be a second educator who leads the other small group.)
- The educator is responsible for arriving to each program an hour early to setup. After each program, the educator is responsible for cleaning up and participating in a debrief conversation with other education staff.
- Prior to each program, the educator will work with our Group Programs Coordinator to ensure we deliver culturally relevant curriculum that reflects the background of the students who will be participating. This will include an average of one hour of prep time for each program, with more work at the beginning of the spring to adapt curricula that will be used throughout the spring.
We are looking for someone who is in personal alignment with the mission, values and heart/mind/body/spirit approach of Urban Adamah. We are also looking for someone with:
The Adventure Fund Educator position requires work on up to 15 Thursdays from September 19, 2019 to December 2019 and includes up to 56 hours of work total during that period. Work hours are generally from 9am to 1pm.
This individual is supervised by the Youth & Family Programs Director and the Youth & Family Programs Coordinator.
COMPENSATION & Benefits
$22 – $30 per hour, depending on experience. This is a part time non-exempt contractor position and does not include benefits.
Urban Adamah is rooted in Jewish culture, and we strongly encourage people who identify from a diversity of experiences, faiths, communities, and gender expressions to apply. You do not need to be Jewish to apply for this position.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL INCLUDES: Cover letter, resume with two professional references.
1. We ask that the applicant be available for the program dates listed below. Please let us know if you are able to
work these days, and if not, please indicate which you are not available for.